Creating a new MySQL database for a site hosted on OIT Web Hosting can be a little confusing. Below are the steps for getting a database set up and configured properly via the Web Hosting Plesk control panel, as well as generic steps for creating a new database on any MySQL instance that has phpMyAdmin installed.
MySQL Database Creation on OIT Web Hosting
- Visit OIT Web Hosting [https://hosting.gatech.edu/] and select the website you want to work with from the list of sites that you manage.
- Select the Databases management link.
- On the Databases management page, select the Add New Database link.
- Fill in the fields on the Add New Database form, and be sure to copy down everything for future reference. Use the password generate to generate a secure password (select the 'Show' button to see the generated value so that you can copy it down.)
- Select the OK button to create your new database.
- Back on the Databases management page, you should see a listing in the table for your new database. The Webadmin link on that row will let you access your database via phpMyAdmin.
Video Tutorial (1:13)
MySQL Database Creation on a Standard Apache HTTPD Server Via phpMyAdmin
- Log into phpMyAdmin on your server with the master (root) user account for your mySQL instance.
- Select the Databases tab.
- In the box under Create database, enter the name for your new database and select the Create button.
- Select the Users tab and create a new user with a unique name and password. Be sure to write down the name of the database you create, as well as the username and password you make for it. (As always, try to choose a fairly-secure database username and password and do NOT use your GTaccount - jdoe3).
- Once the account is created, grant it access to the database that you created. You'll probably want to give the account all privileges for the database except "grant", as you usually don't want the account to be able to give out access to other accounts.