Please see the introduction to contrib (third-party) modules before installing anything listed on this page.
The following information is provided as-is with no warranty or guarantees of any kind! While members of the campus community have recommended the following modules for their listed purposes, it's perfectly possible you could blow up your Drupal website if you don't know what you're doing and install them incorrectly or alongside other modules that are incompatible.
Most descriptions are borrowed from the module's home page on the Drupal.org website.
Editor's Note: Virtually all development work has ceased on Drupal 7 modules, and in many cases modules have been abandoned, meaning that no one is supporting those modules. You should consider all Drupal 7 modules to be unsupported at this time. Units are strongly advised to begin moving from Drupal 7 to either Drupal 9 or another content management system as soon as possible.
These are only needed if required by another module. The ones listed below are some of the most commonly used API modules.
- Libraries - Introduces a common repository for libraries in
sites/all/libraries and sites/<domain>/libraries
- Chaos Tools (CTools) - A set of APIs and tools to improve the developer experience
- Entity API - Extends the entity API of Drupal core in order to provide a unified way to deal with entities and their properties
- FlexSlider - Integrates the Flex Slider library with Drupal, which allows you to build responsive, resizable slideshows
- Advanced Help - Provides support for advanced help documentation in modules provided in standard HTML format
- JQuery Update - Upgrades the version of jQuery in Drupal core to a newer version of jQuery
- Administration Menu - Administrative links are displayed in a CSS/JS-based menu at the top on all pages of your site, including links to common tasks and actions
- Module Filter - Lets you more easily see installed modules grouped by type and quickly search through them
- Filter Permissions - Provides filters at the top of the Permissions page for easier management.
- Node Convert - Node Convert adds a menu tab "Convert" on the node view page that gives the ability to convert the node from its current content type to another content type.
- CAS - Provides single sign-on capability for your Drupal site by implementing the CAS protocol.
- LDAP - Provides integration with LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) for authentication, user provisioning, authorization, etc.
- SpamSpan - Obfuscates email addresses to help prevent spambots from collecting them
- Honeypot - Uses both the honeypot and timestamp methods of deterring spam bots from completing forms on your Drupal site
- CAPTCHA - Provides CAPTCHA ("Are you a human?") challenge-response tests to virtually any user facing web form on a Drupal site.
- Spamicide - Spamicide adds an input field to each form then hides it with css, when spam bots fill in the field the form is discarded
- BOTCHA - In BOTCHA, we don't abuse our human users - protection is completely transparent to them and non-intrusive. BOTCHA lets spambots to prove they are bots, and lets real users zip by
- Mollom - Connects your site with the Mollom network to help determine if posts or comments are spam.
- Security Review - Automates testing for many of the easy-to-make mistakes that can make your site insecure
- CK Editor - Allows Drupal to replace textarea fields with the CKEditor - a visual HTML editor, usually called a WYSIWYG editor
- IMCE - An image/file uploader and browser that supports personal directories and quota
- Image Resize Filter - Just insert an image and set it's height and width properties in HTML (done automatically by WYSIWYG editors) and the image is resized on output to match the HTML
- Adaptive Image Styles - Allows any image to be adaptive simply by setting it to be rendered with the 'adaptive' image style. Adaptive images are sized down based on the user's detected screen size, reducing bandwidth and load times. [Requires .htaccess modifications]
Navigation / URL Paths
- 404 Navigation - Causes Drupal to render the primary/main menu on 404 (page not found) error pages
- Pathauto - Automatically generates URL/path aliases for various kinds of content (nodes, taxonomy terms, users) without requiring the user to manually specify the path alias
- Pathologic - An input filter that can correct paths in links and images in your Drupal content in situations which would otherwise cause them to “break;” for example, if the URL of the site changes, or the content was moved to a different server
- Redirect - Work in progress for a Drupal 7 integration and collaboration between redirection-type modules: Path Redirect and Global Redirect
- Global Redirect - Makes sure that all ways to access a page redirect with 301 errors to a single URL path, which optimizes a site for search engines
Design / Layout
- Paragraphs - Allows you — Site Builders — to make things cleaner so that you can give more editing power to your end-users
- Node Block - Allows you to have nodes of specific content type(s) be provided as blocks, combining the editing flexibility of node fields with the placement flexibility of Drupal blocks
- Panels - Allows a site administrator to create customized layouts for multiple uses
- Menu Block - Provides configurable blocks of menu trees starting with any level of any menu
Flow and Logic
- Workflow - Allows you to create arbitrary Workflows, and assign them to Entities
- Revisioning - Allows for the configuration of workflows to create, moderate and publish content revisions
- Rules - Allows site administrators to define conditionally executed actions based on occurring events (known as reactive or ECA rules)
- Override Node Options - Allows permissions to be set to each field within the Authoring information and Publishing options field sets on the node form
Data Integration / Migration
- Views - Provides a GUI for processing, sorting, and displaying data
- Feeds - Import or aggregate data as nodes, users, taxonomy terms or simple database records
- Bundle Copy - This module has export/import support for: Node types, Taxonomy, User, Field API fields, and Field groups
Fields and Forms
- Link - Provides a standard custom content field for links
- Date - This package contains both a flexible date/time field type Date field and a Date API that other modules can use
- Location - Allows real-world geographic locations to be associated with Drupal nodes, including people, places, and other content
- Entity Reference - Provides a field type that can reference arbitrary entities
- Block Reference - Defines a field type that creates a relationship to a block and allows the block to be displayed as the content of the field
- File (Field) Paths - Allows you to automatically sort and rename your uploaded files using token based replacement patterns to maintain a nice clean filesystem
- Transliteration - Provides one-way string transliteration (romanization) and cleans file names during upload by replacing unwanted characters
- Conditional Fields - User interface to the new States API, plus the ability to modify fields appearance and behavior on certain conditions when viewing content
- Field Permissions - Allows site administrators to set field-level permissions to edit, view and create fields on any entity
- Field Group - All fieldable entities will have the possibility to add groups to wrap their fields together. Fieldgroup comes with default HTML wrappers like vertical tabs, horizontal tabs, accordions, fieldsets or div wrappers
- Webform - Allows for the creation of user friendly forms and surveys in Drupal complete with email receipts and data export